Top 10 Baby Names For Michigan Girls In The ’80s
Over the years, baby names come and go. Some names popularity will last for decades while others seem trendy and dated by the time baby is in high school. Traditional and biblical names always seem to hang around while fashionable names go out of style. If you were born in the 80's, did your name make the Top 10 list of baby names for girls in Michigan?
Baby names are inspired by movies, music, books and pop culture events. Stacker complied a list of the most popular baby names for girls in Michigan born in the '80s. They used data from the Social Security Administration. Names are ranked by number of babies born.
Here are the top 10...
10. Elizabeth - Elizabeth is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "god is my oath".
9. Heather - Heather is a name of Scottish origin meaning "a variety of small shrubs with pink or white flowers".
8. Stephanie - Stephanie is a name of Greek origin meaning "crown".
7. Melissa -Melissa is a name of Greek origin meaning "honey bee".
6. Nicole - Nicole is a name of Greek origin meaning "victory of the people".
5. Ashley - Ashley is a name of English origin meaning "ash tree meadow".
4. Sarah - Sarah is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "princess".
3. Amanda - Amanda is a name of Latin origin meaning "worthy of love".
2. Jennifer - Jennifer is a name of English origin meaning "white shadow, white wave".
1. Jessica - Jessica is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "God beholds".
In Michigan, between 1980 and 1989 there were 18,031 baby girls born named Jessica. That number is down 97% when compared to the past decade which had only 411 girls named Jessica.
KEEP READING: What were the most popular baby names from the past 100 years?