MICHIGAN GHOST TOWN: Port Crescent Has COMPLETELY Disappeared
The Pinnebog River (originally called the "Pinnepog River) at the tip of Michigan's thumb runs straight through what was once the town of Port Crescent. The entire town, residents, houses and businesses are ALL GONE. All that's left are sandy areas where the town once stood and the Port Crescent Hawk Watch. The rest has been turned into a state park...and two and a half miles west are a slew of cottages along the shoreline near Hat Point.
Port Crescent - originally called "Pinnepog" was an extremely busy lumber town in it's heyday - 1864 thru 1881 - with seventeen city blocks and over 500 townspeople. The town had two sawmills, a couple of hotels, boarding house, two salt plants, school, barrel manufacturer, general store, various other stores, wagon factory, grist mill, shoe & boot factory, two blacksmiths, post office, railroad depot, roller rink, brewery, pump factory, telegraph office and church. This was not supposed to be one of Michigan's "temporary" lumber towns...this one was supposed to last.....but it wasn't to be.
Thanks to the Port Huron Fire of 1871 and the Thumb Fire of 1881, timber was depleted and the town's decline began.
MORE MICHIGAN GHOST TOWNS!
The Michigan Ghost Town of Salo
The Ghost Town of Pioneer
The Ghost Town of Central Mine
13 Michigan Ghost Towns You Should Visit This Year
Ghost Town of Port Sheldon