The Top 9 Roundabouts With the Most Crashes in Michigan
Love them or hate them, they are here to stay and multiply. Michigan roundabouts are becoming more and more commonplace, appearing in metros, freeway on and offramps, and even in the middle of nowhere. Despite their presence nearly everywhere, many find the traffic circle imposing, and difficult to navigate.
Tips For Safely Navigating Michigan Roundabouts
Though not a challenge for some, others get a gnawing feeling in the pit of their stomach when they approach these circular intersections. Fret not fellow Michigander, here are some tips to help you get around those pesky traffic circles from Michigan Auto Law:
When you drive and/or navigate through a roudabout in Michigan it is important to keep in mind that traffic moves in a counterclockwise direction.
1. Slow down as you approach the roundabout
2. Look to see if there are other vehicles present
3. Vehicles already in the roundabout have the right of way
4. Vehicles entering roundabout must yield to oncoming traffic
5. Always yield to vehicles already in the roundabout
6. Check signs and pavement markings to determine proper lane
7. When safe to do so, enter roundabout
8. Enter the appropriate lane
9. Travel to destination street, activate your turn signal, then exit
10. Never drive next to or try to pass a large truck
11. Give large vehicles extra room in the roundabout
12. Never stop in the middle of a roundabout
13. Yield to pedestrians using a crosswalk in a roundabout
When all else fails, keep your head on a swivel, be aware of the cars around you, and don't forget to use your turn signal.