
The First Town Founded in Eaton County: Bellevue
It was as early as 1832 when the first land purchase was made here by Luther Lincoln; a year later, the village of Bellevue was created by Captain Reuben Fitzgerald, a veteran of the War of 1812. Although Lincoln was the first land purchaser, it was Fitzgerald who was the first settler in the area.
With this creation, Bellevue became the first town founded in Eaton County and was the first Eaton County seat.
Around 1835, Luther Lincoln sold his land to Isaac Crary of Marshall, who proceeded to plat the town. In May of that same year, a post office began operating with postmaster John Hoyt. The P.O. was spelled as ‘Bellvue’ until it was changed to ‘Bellevue’ in 1841. The town was not named after any settler, bigwig, or corporate hotshot – it was named for the area’s pleasant view and surroundings.

On the west side of town is a large limestone bed, of which it was mined for use in building the state capitol.
The quarry has been preserved, and ruins of the old factory are still visible. Also preserved is the Dyer Kiln, which has been deemed an Historic Michigan spot and is easy to visit, sitting along Sand Road in Dyer Kiln Park, just a tad west of town.
Scroll down to see a handful of “then-and-now" images of Bellevue...
Bellevue, Michigan
More From 99.1 WFMK









