HISTORIC MICHIGAN SMALL TOWN: Adair, in St. Clair County
Adair is located in St. Clair County, in Casco Township. It originated around 1840 and became a railway stop along the Michigan Central Railroad. The town was named after the contractor who built the area's railroad branch. It's now one of the most historic villages in the County.
The post office was established and open for business at the end of 1875 and closed at the beginning of 1923. The church on Chapin Street was founded as The First German Evangelical Church of Adair in 1899, now known as St. Matthew United Church of Christ.
The Adair Grain & Feed Store has been around since 1932 and it was the place where everyone gathered to jaw and get their supplies. Before it was a feed store, it was a milk depot, where farmers took their filled milk cans to be loaded onto the train and shipped.
Akin to a kind of 'Carp Carnival', Adair has a similar annual event called "Suckerfest" which brings in people from all over.
The old graveyard, just north of town on Palms Road, has been around since the 1800's and has kept it's 1800's/smalltown atmosphere. Creepy in spots, well-kept in most (SEE PHOTOS BELOW).
This is another cool little Michigan small town to visit on a roadtrip this year!