The Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Jackson’s small Withington Park gets passed by everyday by commuters and residents, and we take it for granted – as it has been there for as long as we remember.

It has been in that same location – the intersection of Wildwood and First Streets - ever since 1903 when it was presented by General William Withington.

So who was this William Withington?

99.1 WFMK logo
Get our free mobile app

A Jacksonian, Withington was a captain with the 1st Michigan Infantry, captured at the battle of Bull Run during the summer of 1861. He was sent back to his regiment in January 1862 in a prisoner exchange. He was made colonel of the 17th Michigan Infantry in  August 1862 and promoted to brigadier general in March 1863 for his superior performance at the battle of South Mountain in September 1862. After resigning in March 1863, he was honorably discharged and came back to Jackson.

The monument was sculpted by Lorado Taft, featuring three figures:
1) One is kneeling with a musket
2) Another holds his regimental flag
3) The third is seen, obviously wounded, grasping his chest

In part, the inscription reads:
“To the soldiers and sailors of Jackson County who gave their services and many their lives to their country in the war for the Union 1861-1865.....Jackson County contributed to the Army and Navy in the War for the Union 3232 men.....”

Dedicated on July 14, 1904, the monument has remained all these years in this tiny park as a remembrance of Jackson’s important role in the Civil War.....keep that in mind next time you drive by. Scroll down to see some old images of the monument, some going back over 100 years...

Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Jackson

More From 99.1 WFMK