The Top Five Most Expensive Detroit Tiger Baseball Cards
What was the most expensive Detroit Tiger baseball card?
There were five Tiger cards that sold for the most money, and – no surprise – they were all of Ty Cobb.
Back in 2016, a family in Georgia were going through their great-grandfather’s things and came across an old wrinkled paper bag. Upon opening it, they found seven Ty Cobb cards inside. The cards were given the nickname “The Lucky Seven” and soon word got around of the find. Collectors were eager to get their hands on one or more of these cards and were ready to pay any price. Here are the top five cards that sold for the most money:
5. Selling for $372,000 was a 1909-11 Ty Cobb ‘red portrait’ card, sold on August 22, 2021.
4. For $408,000 was a 1909-11 Ty Cobb Portrait with Red Background, sold on February 24, 2018.
3. $488,425 was the price paid for a 1909 “bat off the shoulder” Cobb card. It had a picture of Ty Cobb holding a baseball bat over his shoulder; it sold in August 2016.
2. The price for a Ty Cobb Back was $894,250, one of the ‘Lucky Seven’ Ty Cobb baseball cards mentioned earlier. With twenty people bidding on the card, it sold to the highest on September 4, 2020.
1. Finally, the most paid for a baseball card was a 1909-11 Ty Cobb Tobacco card for over one million dollars: $1,100,000.
One of the things that made these cards so valuable were the different ads found on the backs. With a possible number of 5,500 of these, only 22 may exist. When that family in Georgia found their great-grandfather’s cards, only ten were believed to exist.
You can get more detailed information on these cards at Moneyinc.com.
The Most Expensive Detroit Tiger Baseball Cards: Ty Cobb
MORE DETROIT TIGERS: