Top 5 Snacks to Curb Hunger
When it comes to snacking, what are the right choices to make? I think that most people eat snacks every day of the week and let's face it, we all love snacks.
According to foodnetwork.com, snacks are mini meals that are meant to curb and help supplement nutrients you may not be getting enough of from meals like fiber from fruits and vegetables.
We're not talking about bad snacking like potato chips, cookies, ice cream, or a whole bag of Doritos.
The best thing you can do is stick to snacks that are between 100 and 200 calories each. You need them when you have three to five hours between meals.
Here are the top 5 best snacks to eat to help curb hunger:
1. Peanut Butter and Whole Wheat Crackers. I love this snack because it includes two of my favorite snacks. This is a very satisfying snack. Protein and fiber work for cutting down and controlling hunger.
2. Vegetable Soup. I'm starting to get hungry for a snack already! There's nothing better than snacking on warm and hearty vegetable soup. Vegetables contain fiber, which helps you feel full and also helps stabilize blood sugar throughout the day.
3. Low Fat Cottage Cheese and Fruit. Another one of my favorite snacks. This is a good balance of protein, carbs and fat. You can also add fiber with fresh fruit.
4. Hummus with Sliced Veggies. According to foodnetwork.com, "this Middle Eastern chickpea spread is packed with protein, fiber and heart healthy unsaturated fats. Veggies like carrots, bell peppers and broccoli make great dippers and add good nutrients."
5. Trail Mix. This is one snack I eat a lot of. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts or pecans are full of healthy fat, fiber and protein. Portion out a handful of nuts and mix in two tablespoons of dried fruit and then your trail mix is ready to consume.