Long Lasting Foods to Buy During a Quarantine
As we keep hearing these days, we're all in this together. And the question is, what foods should we buy during a quarantine that will last a long time during a pandemic?
According to USA Today.com, Tempo has come up with a list of foods that won't spoil quickly, making them good choices to stock should you want to quarantine.
Here are several foods you should buy during a quarantine:
1. Apples. Crisp delicious apples can last for up top 6 months if they're stored in a cold, dark place, such as a root cellar in winter or in your refrigerator.
2. Beef Jerky. Beef jerky is a delicious snack to have around the house or when you're on the go. It's lean, dry, and salted, a combination of qualities that contribute to its longevity. Beef jerky can last up to 2 years in an unopened package.
3. Canned fruits and vegetables. Shelf life is 1 to 2 years past best by date. Canning is one of the most efficient techniques for preserving food.
4. Dark chocolate. Chocolate with a high cacao content and little or no milk, dark chocolate, will last much longer than milk chocolate. Dark chocolate should last for a couple of years at temperatures up to about 75 degrees, and will keep for as long as 5 years if stored between 60 and 65 degrees.
5. Dried pasta. Another good choice because dried past has a shelf life of up to 5 years past best by date. Fresh pasta is a perishable commodity and most varieties should be kept refrigerated.
6. Peanut butter. I love peanut butter. It has a shelf life of 2 years. An unopened jar of peanut butter kept at room temperature should actually last longer than a couple of years.
There are more long lasting foods to stock up on during a quarantine. (USA Today.com)