Al Capone and Ghosts of the 1909 John Robinson Hospital, Allegan
At 701 Marshall Street (M-89) in Allegan stands an old hospital that was built in 1909 by a doctor named John Robinson. During the 1920's, Doc Robinson sold the place to a physician from Chicago: one that seemingly had ties to the mob.
Supposedly, Al Capone came here often. Whenever Capone or some other gang members needed to hide out or get secret medical service, they visited the John Robinson Hospital in Allegan.
According to Mlive.com, one of the gang members evidently had the nickname "Tall Louie," and is one of the seven ghosts that inhabit the old hospital. Louie passed away somewhere else but now resides in the old hospital, due to the fond memories he has of the place.
Other ghosts include a little boy and little girl who may have died in the hospital from tuberculosis (the hospital was known for psychiatry and treating TB).
After the hospital shut down in 1948 and was turned into an Elks Lodge in 1961, a caretaker went out to the back porch and - for some unknown reason - hung himself.
This is one of Michigan Historic Sites, NOT some old place that you can sneak into. GET PERMISSION BEFORE ENTERING.
The old hospital still stands on six acres in Allegan’s historical district across from the Kalamazoo River. See the photos below that show the outside, inside and location.
JOHN ROBINSON HOSPITAL