Shots Fired at Berrien County Courthouse; Law Enforcement Officials Reportedly Killed
Multiple gunshots were fired inside the Berrien County Courthouse in St Joseph.
This is a developing story – here is what we’ve gathered so far:
- The shooting occurred around 2:20PM
- Michigan State Police confirm they have responded to the courthouse after reports of the shooting.
- The Courthouse has been partially evacuated. Per scanner traffic there are ‘4 to 5 pockets’ of people still in the building.
- Traffic across the St Joseph River from Benton Harbor is restricted at this time. Vehicles from Business Loop 94 (Main Street) are being diverted at Riverview Drive.
- Per WNDU: Shooting confirmed by county sheriff and situation is ‘under control.’
- Number of injured varies among different media. WBST reports “One officer was shot in left arm and finger after shots were fired at the Berrien County Courthouse in St. Joseph Monday afternoon” with one or two other civilians injured in unknown condition.
- WWMT reports at least two bailiffs were killed, and the suspect also was killed.
- South County courthouse in Niles has been closed.
- A nearby Catholic elementary school is serving as a staging area.