MICHIGAN GHOST TOWN: Hard Luck, Hidden Within the Au Sable Forest
The Michigan ghost town of Hard Luck is located in the Au Sable State Forest, deep within the center of practically nothing except trees.
Co-ordinates show it to be on one place, while Google shows it a few miles farther to the east (SEE PHOTOS ABOVE).
I wish I could tell you more about Hard Luck but there is very little known about it, aside from where it used to be, in Gladwin County, 14 miles northeast of Gladwin. All I DO know is that it was a lumber town, settled for a brief period in the 1800's.
That's it. No pictures, no recorded history, no videos, no old news articles, NOTHING. I'm gonna challenge some of the brave Michiganders to visit the area and take pictures, video, whatever!
There is no population count for Hard Luck, since the census never bothered to show up and take a count. What a surprise.
Are there any buildings left?
I DON'T KNOW.
Are there any known relics, remnants, ruins, etc.?
PROBABLY. But you'd have to trek thru some woods and bring a shovel, pick and metal detector.
How do you get there? It ain't easy, since there are no major roads leading to it. But I will do my best to direct you.
1) TAKE 127 NORTH
2) GET OFF SOUTH OF HARRISON, AT EXIT 170
3) TURN LEFT (east) ON BUSINESS 127 (S. Clare rd.)
4) LESS THAN A MILE DOWN, TURN LEFT ON HWY 61 (E. Gladwin Rd.).
5) KEEP GOING THRU THE TOWN OF GLADWIN
6) WHEN YOU REACH THE TOWN OF WHITE STAR, TURN LEFT (north) ON HWY 30
7) IN A FEW MILES, TURN RIGHT ON SECORD DAM ROAD
8) ONCE YOU CROSS OVER BLACK CREEK, LOOK FOR WILDWOOD RD AND TURN LEFT (north)
9) A WAYS UP THE ROAD, TURN RIGHT ON STERLING TRUCK TRAIL
10) KEEP TO THE RIGHT ON STERLING TRUCK TRAIL
11) WHEN YOU GET TO CENTER FIRELINE TRAIL, YOU ARE BASICALLY IN THE AREA OF HARD LUCK.
The co-ordinates show Hard Luck to be down about 100 feet on Sterling Truck Trail once you cross Center Fireline Trail (SEE PHOTOS ABOVE). If you travel 2-3 more miles down the road, you'll come to the area that shows up on Google Maps. So which is right? I guess you'll have to make that trek and find out. But I'd bet on the original co-ordinates.
Are you up for the challenge?
Let me know if you go!